What would the best sounding amplifier in the world do ?
- It would reveal atmosphere and detail like no other.
- It would expose voices and instruments with pin point accuracy.
- It would have a walk-in sound that completely reveals recorded ambiance.
- It would captivate the natural acoustics of the recording, rendering a realistic sense of reality.
- It would produce a completely liquid smooth sound that captures the emotion of the musical event.
Welcome To The "Topaz"
A single ended amplifier that will do all of the above in a complete and natural rendition of the original event!
1st & 2nd Stage
The large octal based triodes have lower microphonics and improved resolution over their smaller 9-pin counter parts. Our exclusive use of exceptionally large value Solen polypropylene coupling capacitors was implemented to improve the low frequency response.
Single ended and self-biased the 211's drive the exquisitely refined Audio Note transformers to new heights of realism. Improved low frequency response, lower distortion, greater clarity, and resolution are the result of the improved dynamic headroom offered by these heavier outputs. Individual selection of speaker load impedance (4 + 8 Ohm) is accomplished via dual contact high current switches. (40 ampere rating)
ALL STAGES Operate in class "A1" single ended. Self-biased...no adjustments (tweaks can swap valves without consequence) < ZERO FEEDBACK > No LOCAL or GLOBAL FEEDBACK of any kind!
- Dual output winding toroidal power transformer for 211 filaments is full wave rectified and DC filtered separately for each channel providing superior performance without the need for elaborate test equipment to balance out AC ripple and modulation effects which normally occurs when using AC current!
- Separate power transformers and filters provide total isolation between the INPUT and OUTPUT stages. The INPUT High voltage power supply (+450V) uses a double P (pi) L.C. filter network to obtain complete immunity from power supply induced signal aberrations. The 1st stage is further isolated from the 2nd stage using an RC filter network. Two power transformers are used in the output power supply to further reduce mechanical vibration. The OUTPUT High voltage power supply (+1200V) uses a current surge limiter and a dual full wave rectifier configuration feeding a double P (pi) L.C. filter network for excellent regulation as well as superb ripple and noise rejection!
- Four large chokes and ten polypropylene capacitors are used in the two high voltage power supplies which makes this a " PURIST POWER SOURCE " of the highest caliber!
- Extremely rugged (12 gauge) all welded steel chassis was implemented to further reduce any possibility of vibration induced signal aberrations.
- Highly polished showcase chrome and thick 24 karat gold plating on brass is used to accentuate the chassis styling on this unit.
- Very high quality pearl enamel baked on finish to further enhance the artistry.
- Rugged solid brass handles with nickel finish are implemented for ease of handling.
- A fine mesh screen covers the high voltage transformers and chokes.
- Tubes are left uncovered to enhance the visual arts.
(Hand crafted Vectorboards using precision double turret terminal posts)
The components are mounted on Vector boards which contain swaged terminal post. These posts are divided into two areas. The wiring used is laid out on both top and bottom of the board and is soldered to the bottom layer of the terminal post. This point to point wiring allows the highest possible component density while maintaining the shortest possible SIGNAL PATH! The components are then soldered into place on the top layer of the terminal which allows the replacement of any part without removing the circuit board. High quality Teflon coated Silver plated OFHC copper wiring is used where appropriate and silver solder is used throughout.
(Power on cycle completes in 60 seconds)
Three time-delay relays provide proper power sequencing for stabilized circuitry before use and to provide extended tube life.
- Standby Sequence: Allows filaments to reach operating temperature before applying high voltage. Can also be invoked manually via the POWER SWITCH.
- Power Sequence:
- Applies high voltage to input stages and allows circuit elements to stabilize before next sequence.(Red LED lights).
- Applies high voltage to output stage. (Green LED lights – Red LED turns off).
- A few seconds later the auto-mute is disengaged, completing the turn-on sequence.
Power Switch Settings
(A 3 position toggle provides the following functions)
- TOP - ON (auto-sequencing)
- MIDDLE - OFF
- BOTTOM - STANDBY (sequence 1 only)
Tube Complement: (4)
- 1 6SN7GT - octal base dual triode
- 1 6BX7GT - octal base dual triode or optional 6BL7GT for increased sensitivity
- 2 211 VT-4C 4 pin base large triode
(reference to a 1 kilohertz sine wave at 1 watt RMS/8 Ohm output)
- +/- 0dB flat (100 Hz to 10 kHz)
- +0dB / -1dB (20 Hz to 25 Hz)
- +0dB / -3dB (16 Hz to 37 Hz)
27 dB (0.55V RMS maximum for full output) using 6BX7 Driver)
31 dB (0.35V RMS maximum for full output) using 6BL7 Driver....*optional)
18 watts RMS (short durations of greater than 50 watts peak music power for extended dynamic headroom)
Noise & Distortion
Perceived Sound Field
325 watts continuous
Net: 106 lbs / 48 kg
Shipping: 117 lbs / 53 kg
16" W x 22" L x 10" H
40.64 cm W x 55.88 cm L x 25.4 cm H
The Inner Ear Report
Volume 9, # 1 (1996) - Reviewed by Ernie Fisher
…represents a masterpiece of classic vacuum tube design…"
March 1999 - Reviewed by Bascom H. King
Bascom H. King does a Playback mini-review of the Topaz 211A, using the Tannoy Churchill speakers, and gives the Topaz a grade of A+.
The Audiophile Voice
Volume 4, Issue 1 - Reviewed by Peter Breuninger
In an article titled “In an article titled Two Paths to the Way Of the Supreme Source”, Peter Breuninger compares the Topaz against the Cary 805-C, using a Yin and Yang description of both amplifiers.
February 2000 - Reviewed by Doug Schneider
Doug does comparisons between the Topaz 211 and the Blue Circle BC2 amplifier and likes the way the Topaz plays music with an almost uncanny sense of realism.
Tubes - 1 Year Parts
Components - 3 Years Parts and Labor
Extended Warranty (See warranty registration)
Components Only - 20 Years Parts and Labor